What can I do about showrooming at my store?
Posted by Carlos Ramos on 24 Apr 2014 04:52 PM
Showrooming is a growing trend among consumers where they will go to a "brick and mortar" store and try a product before they purchase it from an online retailer. This a problem that can become costly for any such store; but - in an optical setting- it is detrimental even to consumers or patients themselves who, by focusing exclusively on price, bypass many essential services that only a professional optician can provide in person. Our system allows you to take preventive measures against showrooming.
Many optical stores will use in their barcode labels the original manufacturers’ UPC numbers. With smartphones becoming so pervasive these days, anyone can walk into your practice and easily scan those barcode labels to compare prices online. You can prevent this in MVE by:
Use FPC Numbers
If you use the Frames Data Interface with MVE, you should use FPC numbers when importing frames. To set this up:
1. Go to File > Setup > Company
2. Click the System tab
3. In the Other Settings section, select the category “Inventory”, then "FramesData Interface"
4. In the drop-down options for Use UPC/FPC, select "FPC"
5. Click Save in the main toolbar and restart MVE
After logging back into MVE, you can now import frames with FPC numbers as follows:
1. Go to File > Inventory > Transactions > Frame Data Import
2. Click on the Load Frames button
3. Select a Manufacturer, Collection, Style or Color and click on the Search button to get a list of frames to be imported.
4. Select one or more frames from the list (use Ctrl + Click) and then click on down arrow button to add them to the list of frames to be imported, as follows:
5. Click on the Import button and close the window when the process is done
6. Go to File > Inventory > Frames
7. Select the Manufacturer and the Collection of the frames imported and see the UPC column, MVE created the new frames using the FPC instead of the UPC
Manually Add/Edit Frames
If you do not subscribe to Frames Data or they do not have the information on the frame(s) that you want to add, you can still protect yourself against showrooming by adding the frame(s) manually in MVE. To do this:
If you originally set up the frame with the manufacturer’s UPC, you can still prevent showrooming by using a system-generated UPC instead. as follows:
After adding or editing a frame manually, you may want to create new barcode labels for it by clicking the Labels button